Friday, January 22, 2010

Your Personal Movie Valet

But first, you have to listen while I whine. I'm two weeks out from Shoulder Surgery #2, and I continue to be amazed (actually, I use a different word) at how much I cannot do. You just need those darned arms for every darned thing, and every movement reveals a series of steps that you never noticed before because they never hurt before.

Filling a water glass, for instance, is painful four times: you you reach forward to the tap, twist or pull the tap to open it, lift the empty glass (easy) to the faucet and then lift the full glass (hard) up to your mouth. Going for a walk starts with the pulling-on of coat and hat (or if you live in Oregon and it's January, the pulling-on of coats, plural, and hat and gloves and hood and rain pants). Then there's the reaching down to get shoes and socks on, and reaching up to get the house key from the hook, then reaching forward and pressing to turn the key in the front door lock, and then reaching over to put the key in my pocket. Then there's the (ouch) swinging of arms while you walk. I've discovered that if one arm is in a sling, the other arm tends to swing even more to compensate, and so it's always a toss-up which post-op shoulder is going to hurt more. Sometimes I'll shift my sling from one arm to the other several times during a walk.

More often, these days, I just give up the walks altogether.

Are you bored with me yet? I am. However, Dear Readers, your patience will be rewarded. In the next several posts, I am going to share an annotated list of the films I've seen during my convalescence!

Aside from pointing the remote control and pushing buttons, watching DVDs is pretty easy on the arms. I can even ice my shoulder while I do it! (Pathetic, the things that excite me these days.) As a result, during the past few months I've been blowing through my Netflix queue, and I've acquired quite a viewing list. Over the course of the next several posts, I'll write a brief comment and opinion for each of the films I've seen. My goal is not a series of extensive reviews, but some quick commentaries to give you ideas when you can't think of what to rent. And if you take issue with me -- or agree -- or have recommendations of your own to add, please contribute comments!

Gotta go rest my keyboard-weary shoulders. Next post: Frozen River, Waiting, The Spitfire Grill and more!

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, but you ARE keyboarding, and you HAVE attempted to walk. (I also know that you are able to text.) Your improvements know no bounds! Thanks, in advance, for the movie suggestions. I never know what to rent. (Mostly because I hate everything, just ask the kids.)
    I have been on a reading binge (not too difficult on the arms, although some books can be quite heavy). And have included three of my most recent recommendations over at my place. You could be surprised (or not) to find a name you recognize.
    Keep getting better.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete